© B64-4040-00/00 (EW/ E2W)
Declaration of Conformity with regard to the EMC Directive
2967-3 Ishikawa-machi, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo, 192-8525 Japan
Kenwood Electronics Europe BV
Amsterdamseweg 37, 1422 AC UITHOORN, The Netherlands
2 | KDC-W6641U/ KDC-W6541U/ KDC-W6141U/ KDC-W6041U
Disc & Audio file play functions
/ · Read through this page first for the setting of each
About Display Type
Text Display Selection
Key Color Selection
Disc Naming (DNPS)
Auxiliary Input Display Setting
Music disc/Audio file Operation
Direct Music Search
Direct Disc Search
Basic Operation of Disc Changer (Optional)
Station Preset Memory
Direct Access Tuning
PTY (Program Type)
Program Type preset
Changing Language for PTY Function
Manual Clock Adjustment
Demonstration mode setting
Audio Preset Memory
Audio Preset Recall
iPod is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S.
and other countries.
The "AAC" logo is trademark of Dolby Laboratories.
Basic Operations of remote control 21
Accessories/ Installation Procedure 26
Connecting Wires to Terminals
Installation/Removing the Unit
English | 3
To prevent injury or fire, take the following
· To prevent a short circuit, never put or leave any
metallic objects (such as coins or metal tools) inside
Before using this unit for the first time
This unit is initially set on the Demonstration mode.
When using this unit for the first time, cancel the
<Demonstration mode Setting> (page 17).
How to reset your unit
· If this unit or the connected unit (disc auto changer,
etc.) fails to operate properly, press the Reset button.
The unit returns to factory settings when the Reset
button is pressed.
Cleaning the Unit
If the faceplate of this unit is stained, wipe it with a
dry soft cloth such as a silicon cloth.
If the faceplate is stained badly, wipe the stain off with
a cloth moistened with neutral cleaner, then wipe it
again with a clean soft dry cloth.
· Applying spray cleaner directly to the unit may affect its
mechanical parts. Wiping the faceplate with a hard cloth or
using a volatile liquid such as thinner or alcohol may scratch
the surface or erases characters.
Cleaning the Faceplate Terminals
If the terminals on the unit or faceplate get dirty, wipe
them with a clean soft dry cloth.
When you turn on the car heater in cold weather,
dew or condensation may form on the lens in the
CD player of the unit. Called lens fogging, this
condensation on the lens may not allow CDs to play.
In such a situation, remove the disc and wait for the
condensation to evaporate. If the unit still does not
operate normally after a while, consult your Kenwood
· If you experience problems during installation,
consult your Kenwood dealer.
· When you purchase optional accessories, check with
your Kenwood dealer to make sure that they work
with your model and in your area.
· Characters that conform to ISO 8859-1 can be
· Characters that conform to ISO 8859-5 or ISO 8859-
1 can be displayed. Refer to "MENU" > "Russian" of
<Function Control> (page 6).
· The RDS feature won't work where the service is not
supported by any broadcasting station.
· In this document, the description indicator will light
means a status is displayed. Refer to <About Display
Type> (page 8) for the details of the status display.
· The illustrations of the display, the function icon and
the panel appearing in this manual are examples
used to explain more clearly how the controls are
used. Therefore, what appears on the display in the
illustrations may differ from what appears on the
display on the actual equipment, and some of the
illustrations on the display may be inapplicable.
· Do not touch the recording surface of the CD.
· Do not stick tape etc. on the CD, or use a CD with
tape stuck on it.
· Do not use disc type accessories.
· Clean from the center of the disc and move
· When removing CDs from this unit, pull them out
· If the CD center hole or outside rim has burrs,
use the CD only after removing the burrs with a
ballpoint pen etc.
CDs that cannot be used
· CDs that are not round cannot be used.
· CDs with coloring on the recording surface or CDs
that are dirty cannot be used.
· This unit can only play the CDs with
This unit may not correctly play discs which do not
have the mark.
· You cannot play a CD-R or CD-RW that has not been
finalized. (For the finalization process refer to your
CD-R/CD-RW writing software, and your CD-R/CD-
RW recorder instruction manual.)
4 | KDC-W6641U/ KDC-W6541U/ KDC-W6141U/ KDC-W6041U
Power/Source Select button
Turns on the power.
When the power is ON, select a source.
SRC Select mode 1: Press the [SRC] button and then
turn the Control knob or push it toward left or right.
To determine the selected source, press the Control
SRC Select mode 2: Pressing this button each time
switches between sources.
Tuner ("TUNER") , USB or iPod ("USB" or "iPod"), CD
("Compact Disc") , Auxiliary input ("AUX"), and Standby
Press at least 1 second to turn off the power.
· When the power is ON, the <Security Code> (page 16) is
displayed as "CODE ON" or "CODE OFF".
· The SRC Select mode can be set in "MENU" > "SRC Select" of
<Function Control> (page 6).
· When an optional accessory is connected, the source name
for each device appears.
· This unit automatically turns full power OFF after 20
minutes lapses in Standby mode in order to save the
vehicle's battery. The time until full power OFF can be set in
"Power OFF" of <Function Control> (page 6).
· When connection of the iPod is recognized, the source
display changes from "USB" to "iPod".
Turn the knob to adjust the volume.
Turning the volume down quickly.
When the volume is reduced, the "ATT" indicator
Muting volume upon reception of phone call
When there is a call, "CALL" is displayed and the audio
system is paused.
When the call ends, "CALL" disappears and the audio
system comes back on.
The audio system comes back on when [SRC] is
pressed during a call.
· To use the TEL Mute feature, you need to hook up the MUTE
wire to your telephone using a commercial telephone
accessory. Refer to <Connecting Wires to Terminals> (page
Releases the faceplate lock so that it can be removed.
Refer to the following diagram when reattaching the
· The faceplate is a precision piece of equipment and can be
damaged by shocks or jolts.
· Keep the faceplate in its faceplate case while detached.
· Do not place the faceplate (and the faceplate case) in areas
exposed to direct sunlight, excessive heat or humidity. Also
avoid places with too much dust or the possibility of water
· To prevent deterioration, do not touch the terminals of the
unit or faceplate with your fingers.
English | 5
Connect a portable audio device with mini-plug
cable (3.5 ø).
· Use the mini-plug cable which is stereo type and does not
have any resistance.
· The auxiliary input requires the setting made in "MENU" >
"Built in AUX" of <Function Control> (page 6).
Switches between ON ("SUBWOOFER ON") and OFF
("SUBWOOFER OFF") each time pushing toward down
for at least 2 seconds.
· This function requires the setting made in "MENU" > "SWPRE"
of <Function Control> (page 6).
Pressing this button allows you to set various
functions using the Control knob. Refer to <Function
Control> (page 6).
Function of setup item
Allows you to set up the environment.
Allows you to set up the display.
Scrolls the CD, audio file, and Radio text display when
pushing toward up for at least 2 seconds.
Switches between FM1, FM2, and FM3 each time
pushing toward up.
Switches to AM when pushing toward down.
Changes the frequency when pushing toward left or
· During reception of stereo stations the "ST" indicator is ON.
Auto memory entry
Memorizes six stations with good reception
automatically when pressed for at least 2 seconds.
Turns ON or OFF the Traffic Information function. If
traffic bulletin starts when the function is ON, "Traffic
INFO" is displayed and traffic information is received.
· If the volume is adjusted during reception of traffic
information, the adjusted volume is memorized
automatically. The memorized volume will be applied next
time the Traffic Information function is turned ON.
Disc & Audio file play functions
Starts playing when a disc is inserted.
When a CD is inserted, the "IN" indicator is ON.
· 3 inch (8 cm) CD cannot be used. Attempt to insert using
an adapter can cause malfunction.
· You can eject the disc for 10 minutes after switching off the
USB device/iPod play
Connecting a USB device starts playback.
· For the playable audio file, media, and devices, refer to
<About Audio file> (page 22).
Pause and play
Switches between pause and play each time the
center is pressed.
USB device removing
Press this button for 2 seconds or longer to select the
remove mode, and the remove the USB device.
During the remove mode, the "USB REMOVE"
indicator is ON.
Changes the music when pushing toward left or right.
Fast reverses or forwards the music while keeping
pushing toward left or right. (No sound is output
while playing audio file.)
Changes the folder containing the audio file when
pushing toward up or down.
: Indicates the button etc. to operate.