Module No. 1698/1918
To set the time and date
1. Hold down A while in the Timekeeping Mode until the
seconds digits start to flash on the display. The seconds
flash because they are
2. Press M to change the selection in the following
3. While the seconds digits are selected (flashing), press C to reset the seconds to 00.
· If you press C while the seconds count is in the range of 30 to 59, the seconds are
reset to 00 and 1 is added to the minutes. If the seconds count is in the range of 00 to
29, the minutes count is unchanged.
4. While any other digits (besides seconds) are selected (flashing), press C to increase
the number. While the 12/24-hour setting is selected, press C to switch between the
· Holding down C changes the current selection at high speed.
· When the 12-hour format is selected, the12H indicator appears on the display. With
the 12-hour format, the P (PM) indicator appears on the display to indicate "p.m."
times. There is no indicator for "a.m." times.
· Selecting the 24-hour format causes the 24H and the 24 indicators to appear on the
5. After you set the time and date, press A to return to the Timekeeping Mode.
· The day of the week is automatically set in accordance with the date.
· The date can be set within the range of January 1, 1995 to December 31, 2039.
· If you do not operate any button for a few minutes while a selection is flashing, the
flashing stops and the watch goes back to the Timekeeping Mode automatically.
Day of week
Hour : Minutes
A backlight that uses an EL (electro-luminescent) panel
causes the entire display to glow for easy reading in the
dark. An EL alarm feature can be turned on so the backlight
flashes whenever an alarm or hourly time signal sounds.
· The FLASH indicator is shown on the display in all modes
while the EL alarm is on.
· The backlight of the watch employs an electro-liminescent
(EL) light, which loses illuminating power after very long
· The illumination provided by the backlight may be hard to see when viewed under
· The watch will emit an audible sound whenever the display is illuminated. This is caused
by a transformer that vibrates when the EL panel lights up. It does not indicate
malfunction of the watch.
· The backlight automatically turns off whenever an alarm sounds.
To manually turn on the backlight
Pressing L in the Timekeeping, Stopwatch or Alarm Mode causes the backlight to turn
on for about two seconds. Pressing C in the Beat Counter Mode also causes the backlight
to turn on for a fixed amount of time.
· The backlight normally stays on for about two seconds and then turns off automatically.
When the EL alarm is turned on, however, the backlight stays on for about five seconds
instead of two seconds.
· The above operations turn on the backlight, regardless of the current EL alarm settings.
To turn the EL alarm on and off
In the Timekeeping Mode, hold down B for about two seconds to toggle the EL alarm
on (FLASH indicator displayed) and off (FLASH indicator not displayed).
· When the EL alarm is on, the backlight flashes while the daily alarm and hourly time
signal tones are sounding. Also, the backlight stays on for about five seconds instead
of the normal two seconds.
BEAT COUNTER MODE
The Beat Counter Mode can be used to produce an audible
signal in accordance with BPM (beats per minute) value,
which is like a digital metronome that can be used for a
variety of different musical applications.
· The letters "BPM" stand for "beats per minute" in this
· Any time you enter the Beat Counter Mode, the last BPM
value you set appears on the display.
· If you do not operate any button for one hour while in the
Beat Counter Mode, the watch automatically goes back
to the Timekeeping Mode.
To play the beat signal
In the Beat Counter Mode, press B to start a digital beat signal that sounds at the
speed indicated by the BPM value. The higher the BPM value, the faster the beat.
· The digital beat signal sounds for one minute or until you press any button to stop it.
Setting the BPM value
There are two ways you can set the BPM value: by counting beats of some music or
rhythm, or by manually inputting a value.
To count beats
1. In the Beat Counter Mode, press L six times in
accordance with the beat of the music or rhythm.
· Each time you press L, the number on the display
changes in the following sequence:
1 2 3 4 0
2. After you press L the sixth time, the watch calculates an
average number of beats per minute and sets the
applicable BPM value.
· Note that you must press L all six times for this procedure to work correctly.
· If you do not press L within about three seconds after you last pressed it, the watch
automatically cancels the beat count procedure.
· The above procedure sets a value in the range of 60 to 200 beats, in 5-beat steps.
To manually input a value
1. In the Beat Counter Mode, hold down A until the BPM values starts to flash.
2. Press C to increase the BPM value in units of 5 or B to decrease it. Holding down
either button changes the setting at high speed.
· You can set the BPM value within a range of 60 to 200.
· Pressing B and C at the same time changes the BPM value to its standard setting of
3. After you input the BPM value, press A to return to the normal Beat Counter Mode
The Stopwatch Mode lets you measure elapsed time, split
times, and two finishes. The range of the stopwatch is 23
hours, 59 minutes, 59.99 seconds.
(a) Elapsed time measurement
(b) Split time measurement
(c) Split time and 1st-2nd place times
Split release Clear
· The operational procedures for Module 1698 and 1918 are identical. All of the illustrations
in this manual show Module 1698.
· Press M to change from mode to mode. Each mode is explained in detail on the
Beat Counter Mode
· Display text appears either as black-on-white or white-on-black, depending on the
model of your watch. All sample displays in this manual are shown as black-on-white.
time of first runner.
Record time of
When the Daily Alarm is turned on, the alarm sounds for 20
seconds at the preset time each day. Press any button to
stop the alarm after it starts to sound.
When the Hourly Time Signal is turned on, the watch beeps
every hour on the hour.
To set the alarm time
1. Hold down A while in the Alarm Mode until the hour digits
start to flash on the display. The hour digits flash because
· This operation automatically turns on the Daily Alarm.
2. Press M to change the selection in the following
Hourly time signal
Alarm on indicator
Hour : Minutes
3. Press C to increase the selected digits. Holding down C increases the selection at
· The format (12-hour and 24-hour) of the alarm time matches the format you select for
· When setting the alarm time using the 12-hour format, take care to set the time correctly
as a.m. (no indicator) or p.m. (P indicator).
4. After you set the alarm time, press A to return to the Alarm Mode.
To turn the Daily Alarm and Hourly Time Signal on and off
Press B while in the Alarm Mode to change the status of the Daily Alarm and Hourly
Time Signal in the following sequence.
[Alarm On Indicator/Hourly Time Signal On Indicator]
To test the alarm
Hold down C while in the Alarm Mode to sound the alarm.