PIONEER CORPORATION 4-1, Meguro 1-chome, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 153-8654, Japan
PIONEER ELECTRONICS (USA) INC. P.O. Box 1760, Long Beach, CA 90801-1760, U.S.A.
PIONEER EUROPE NV Haven 1087, Keetberglaan 1, 9120 Melsele, Belgium
PIONEER ELECTRONICS ASIACENTRE PTE. LTD. 253 Alexandra Road, #04-01, Singapore 159936
PIONEER CORPORATION 2005
This ARP3302 Supersedes ARP3270
< CAUTION >
AL IS APPLICABLE TO THE FOLLOWING MODEL(S) AND TYPE(S).
For details, refer to "Important symbols for good services".
T-ZZR OCT. 2005 printed in Japan
This service manual is intended for qualified service technicians ; it is not meant for the casual do-
it-yourselfer. Qualified technicians have the necessary test equipment and tools, and have been
trained to properly and safely repair complex products such as those covered by this manual.
Improperly performed repairs can adversely affect the safety and reliability of the product and may
void the warranty. If you are not qualified to perform the repair of this product properly and safely,
you should not risk trying to do so and refer the repair to a qualified service technician.
This product contains lead in solder and certain electrical parts contain chemicals which are known to the state of California to
cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Health & Safety Code Section 25249.6 - Proposition 65
(FOR CANADIAN MODEL ONLY)
(fast operating fuse) and/or
(slow operating fuse) on PCB indicate that replacement parts
must be of identical designation.
(POUR MODÈLE CANADIEN SEULEMENT)
Les symboles de fusible
(fusible de type rapide) et/ou
(fusible de type lent) sur CCI indiquent que les pièces
de remplacement doivent avoir la même désignation.
NOTICE : Comply with all cautions and safety related notes
located on or inside the cabinet and on the chassis.
The following precautions should be observed :
1. When service is required, even though the PDP UNIT an
isolation transformer should be inserted between the power line
and the set in safety before any service is performed.
2. When replacing a chassis in the set, all the protective devices
must be put back in place, such as barriers, nonmetallic knobs,
adjustment and compartment covershields, isolation resistor-
3. When service is required, observe the original lead dress. Extra
precaution should be taken to assure correct lead dress in the
high voltage circuitry area.
4. Always use the manufacture's replacement components.
Especially critical components as indicated on the circuit
diagram should not be replaced by other manufacture's.
Furthermore where a short circuit has occurred, replace those
components that indicate evidence of overheating.
5. Before returning a serviced set to the customer, the service
technician must thoroughly test the unit to be certain that it is
completely safe to operate without danger of electrical shock,
and be sure that no protective device built into the set by the
manufacture has become defective, or inadvertently defeated
during servicing. Therefore, the following checks should be
performed for the continued protection of the customer and
6. Perform the following precautions against unwanted radiation
and rise in internal temperature.
· Always return the internal wiring to the original styling.
· Attach parts (Gascket, Ferrite Core, Ground, Rear Cover,
Shield Case etc.) surely after disassembly.
7. Perform the following precautions for the PDP panel.
· When the front case is removed, make sure nothing hits the
panel face, panel corner, and panel edge (so that the glass does
· Make sure that the panel vent does not break. (Check that the
cover is attached.)
· Handle the FPC connected to the panel carefully.
Twisting or pulling the FPC when connecting it to the
connector will cause it to peel off from the panel.
8. Pay attention to the following.
· When the front case is removed, infrared ray is radiated and
may disturb reception of the remote control unit.
· Pay extreme caution when the front case and rear panel are
removed because this may cause a high risk of disturbance to
TVs and radios in the surrounding.
Leakage Current Cold Check
With the AC plug removed from an AC power source, place a
jumper across the two plug prongs. Turn the AC power switch on.
Using an insulation tester (DC 500V), connect one lead to the
jumpered AC plug and touch the other lead to each exposed metal
part (input/output terminals, screwheads, metal overlays, control
shafts, etc.), particularly any exposed metal part having a return
path to the chassis. Exposed metal parts having a return path to
the chassis should have a minimum resistor reading of 0.3M
and a maximum resistor reading of 5M
. Any resistor value
below or above this range indicates an abnormality which requires
corrective action. Exposed metal parts not having a return path to
the chassis will indicate an open circuit.
Leakage Current Hot Check
Plug the AC line cord directly into an AC power source (do not
use an isolation transformer for this check).
Turn the AC power switch on.
Using a "Leakage Current Tester (Simpson Model 229
equivalent)", measure for current from all exposed metal parts of
the cabinet (input/output terminals, screwheads, metal overlays,
control shaft, etc.), particularly any exposed metal part having a
return path to the chassis, to a known earth ground (water pipe,
conduit, etc.). Any current measured must not exceed 0.5mA.
ANY MEASUREMENTS NOT WITHIN THE LIMITS
OUTLINED ABOVE ARE INDICATIVE OF A POTENTIAL
SHOCK HAZARD AND MUST BE CORRECTED BEFORE
RETURNING THE SET TO THE CUSTOMER.
PRODUCT SAFETY NOTICE
Many electrical and mechanical parts in PIONEER set have
special safety related characteristics. These are often not evident
from visual inspection nor the protection afforded by them
necessarily can be obtained by using replacement components
rated for higher voltage, wattage, etc. Replacement parts which
have these special safety characteristics are identified in this
Electrical components having such features are identified by
marking with a
on the schematics and on the parts list in this
The use of a substitute replacement component which dose not
ha v e the same safety characteristics as the PIONEER
recommended replacement one, shown in the parts list in this
Service Manual, may create shock, fire or other hazards.
Product Safety is continuously under review and new instructions
are issued from time to time. For the latest information, always
consult the current PIONEER Service Manual. A subscription to,
or additional copies of, PIONEER Service Manual may be
obtained at a nominal charge from PIONEER.
not be above
Also test with
(Using AC adapter
plug as required)
AC Leakage Test
7 Miscellaneous caution matters
(1) This PDP module uses highly integrated semiconductor parts. Since these parts are fragile to electrostatic
charges, earth bands should be used for handling. The product should be handled where measures have been
taken against electrostatic charges.
(2) For this product, the PDP modules and the PWBs are repaired by replacement in a unit. Therefore, the units of
the PWBs must not be repaired or disassembled. Otherwise, the validity of warranty will be lost.
(3) If this PDP module is used for the fixed character display or the like as in the case of a character display board,
a phenomenon of burning (not warranted) will occur. Burning is a phenomenon that the unevenness in the
brightness is caused in the display. In such a case, the brightness in the section where the integrated display
time is longer becomes lower than the brightness in another section where the integrated display time is shorter.
This phenomenon is in proportion to the integrated display time and the brightness. For this reason, to relieve
this difficulty during servicing, do not use any still picture, but use a display by motion pictures of a video or the
like. In addition, use "FULL" for the screen mode and avoid using any display by "NORMAL", "TRUE", or MULTI
SCREEN like side by side etc. If it is necessary to use only a still picture for unavoidable reasons, use a burning
relief function such as "PLE LOCK", "ORBITER", "SCREEN WIPER", etc.
(4) When a PDP module is operated after a long time of storage, it may encounter a difficulty like a failure in
displaying a screen or unstability according to the condition of storage. In such a case, the PDP module should
be incorporated in the product and aging treatment should be carried out for about two hours (all screen display).
(5) Sulfides will deteriorate the PDP module and this is a cause of malfunction. Therefore, it is absolutely prohibited
to put any vulcanized rubber or a material containing sulfur in the vicinity of the PDP module.
(6) When taking out a PDP module from the maintenance package box, do it slowly so that the panel surface
does not get any shock or stress.
(7) If one touches the connector of the flexible cable exposed to the rear side of the PDP module, there is
danger of causing a poor contact. As such, it must be handled with utmost care. In addition, the flexible cable
is very weak in mechanical strength. Therefore, this cable must not be touched during handling.
(8) The panel surface of the PDP module is easy to be hurt and generate cracks. Therefore, it should be handled
very carefully. Never press or rub it with a hard thing. Never put it on a hard thing with the panel surface faced
(9) When the panel surface of the PDP module is contaminated, gently wipe off the contaminant with a piece of
soft dry cloth. Liquid-state contamination can be removed by lightly pressing it, without rubbing it. If it is
difficult to remove the contamination, use a piece of cloth soaked with a neutral detergent. The cloth for
wiping off should be clean. Never use the same cloth repeatedly. If a cleansing detergent or water drops
should enter the module interior or be attached to the module surface other than the display plane at the time
of cleaning, this will give rise to the destruction of the product when the product is energized.
(10) When transporting this PDP module, use the packing materials specified in the list of parts. Once used,
such packing materials should not be used again.
(11) The PDP module is composed of a variety of parts, such as those made of materials like glass, metal,
plastics, etc. Therefore, when abandoning the PDP module, this should be done in accordance with the
relevant law of the nation or an autonomous body
· Observe the caution matter, without fail
· The caution matters of given in the delivery specifications, etc., must be observed, without fail.
· Do not give shocks and vibration.
· The panel surface (display plane) of the PDP module is made of glass. If any shocks or vibration is applied, it may be broken and
the scattered glass chips will be a cause of injury
· Do not put anything.
not put anything on the PDP module. Otherwise, this can be a cause of injury as a result of falling down or dropping caused
· Transportation must be done by enough personnel.
· The PDP module is heavy. In the case of transportation, unpacking, or packing, more than two persons should do it by supporting
the top and the bottom of the product.
· Danger of explosion if battery is incorrectly replaced.
· Replace only with the same or equivalent type.
7 Safety cautions
The matters to be observed without fail are explained below. These matters are indispensable for the preventi on of an
accident during the maintenance servicing, the [security of products] after the completi on of servicing work, and the
[prevention of the repeated occurrence of similar fault.]
(1) The degree of danger and material damage, caused as a result of wrong use by disregarding the contents of the display"
is distinguished and explained in the table below.
(2) Kinds of the matters to be observed are classified and explained in the icons shown below.
· Modification of equipment is absolutely prohibited. Use the specified parts at all times.
· If any modification is performed, the validity of the manufacturer's warranty is lost at that moment. The personnel who did this
modification is responsible for the physical injury or the like, if it should occur as a result of the modification. The parts used are
given the safety-based characteristics, such as non-flammability or sufficient
· Be careful of an electric shock or a burn.
· The PDP module involves the sections where high voltage and high temperature are prevalent. When equipment is energized,
therefore, use working gloves in order to prevent an electric shock and a burn. At the time of transportation, disassembly,
reassembly, and the replacement of parts, such a servicing job must be done after pulling out all the connector cables that have
been connected with external equipment.
This icon indicates the contents of "caution" that must be borne in mind, without fail.
This icon indicates the contents of "caution" that must be practiced, without fail.
This icon indicates a dangerous place where an electric shock is anticipated.
· Observe the caution matter, without fail.
· In the place where a particular caution is needed during maintenance servicing, such a caution note is displayed with a label or a
stamp that is given to the cabinet, chassis, PWB, etc. These caution notes and also the caution matters of
in the instruction manuals, etc., must be observed, without fail.
If this display is disregarded and equipment is handled wrongly, this can be a cause of physical injury and
a fire, thus leading a person to death or serious injury.
If this display is disregarded and equipment is handled wrongly, this may lead to personal injury or